OVH Community, your new community space.

Soft Raid 5 with Windows 2012 R2 install

008hnoor
22-04-2015, 12:31
Once the OS was setup, upon logging I just see a single C: with 160gb. Going into disk management I see the other 2 disks "unallocated".

ExcessGee
03-11-2014, 21:36
I'm having exactly the same issue.
I've tested making a RAID 5 array in the Disk Manager but it seems you can't include the system partition in the array.

I guess the only way to install windows on a RAID 5 array itself (rather than system partition plus RAID array) is to do this at install.
I've tried running a default install, a custom install with RAID 5 set and yet I still get the OS installed on only one of the three disks.

If anyone knows how to do this I'd really appreciate a pointer.
If this isn't possible with the current SyS setup, please can an OVH bod put me out of my misery

Note: this is Soft RAID as the OP has

Kind Regards

manight
16-09-2014, 19:29
I have an infrastructure server with soft raid (3xSSD 160GB).
I tried to modify the default partition and set Raid 5 instead of the default Raid 1 and then went on with the template installation from OVH of Windows 2012 R2.
Once the OS was setup, upon logging I just see a single C: with 160gb. Going into disk management I see the other 2 disks "unallocated".
What is the correct procedure to have the 3 disks set in soft raid 5 upon installing WIndows 2012?

Also.. do you think it's worth to enable raid 5 (performance wise) or it's better to have raid 1 on 2 disks and keep the third like spare (I don't need more space). In this second option how would it be the correct procedure for this, to set the third disk as automatic spare for a rebuild?

Thanks in advance