OVH Community, your new community space.

I was misslead by OVH, no IPs

boffin
18-10-2014, 13:06
"Caveat emptor".

It could be made clearer but sales is all in the headline delivery.

If you can't cover the one off cost of 1.69 per IP - do you really need it?

Criot
18-10-2014, 11:30
Quote Originally Posted by radioactivshark
Oh. Yes. There is. I didn't see that at all :-\

I still think it could be classed as misleading, take into account the giant 16 Free IPs at the top which does NOT have an asterisk..

Free + Activation Fee really on a technicality does not make the product free. You can have the IPs for free, but you've got to pay 1.69 per IP to get time... So they cost a one off per IP of 1.69.
'Free IPs per month' would suggest that the IPs are free on a monthly basis when you think about it logically, as it doesn't mention a free setup fee.

It's very unlikely that from a legal point of view you'd get anywhere saying that's misleading, you should always read the small print, and that's a fact of life.

radioactivshark
18-10-2014, 01:11
Quote Originally Posted by mike_
There's an asterisk in the "free IPs monthly" column.
Oh. Yes. There is. I didn't see that at all :-\

I still think it could be classed as misleading, take into account the giant 16 Free IPs at the top which does NOT have an asterisk..

Free + Activation Fee really on a technicality does not make the product free. You can have the IPs for free, but you've got to pay 1.69 per IP to get time... So they cost a one off per IP of 1.69.

mike_
28-09-2014, 13:49
There's an asterisk in the "free IPs monthly" column.

radioactivshark
27-09-2014, 22:38
I actually agree with the OP. I think it is very misleading and embarrassingly I fell in the same trap

There is no * Asterisk that could say: "Subject to Activation fee of 1.69 Per IP Address"

However I believe this could be classed and argued as misleading advertising under UK Contractual Laws.

from the gov.uk website: https://www.gov.uk/marketing-adverti...g-your-product

Your adverts must describe the actual cost accurately, including any ongoing or associated costs (eg subscription fees) and taxes (eg VAT).

Example
A customer pays 50 a product, without being told the price doesn’t include VAT. This was not explained in the advert, so the advert is misleading.
With my emphasis in bold. Having been told 20 minutes ago by someone on the phone at SYS and I quote: "I know nothing Mr" I don't see me being a customer for too long. I will also be challenging this as misleading advertising as it is extremely unclear on the associated costs. If there was a little insidious asterisk. Fine. There isn't as OP's screenshot shows. It's also not clear that that picture is actually a click button with the costs.

Kode
27-09-2014, 17:17
not sure what the point is on wanting 16 ips with the game server anyway, as you lose the server after 14 days, why would you go through the process of setting up 16 ips just to lose all that work after 14 days?

postcd
27-09-2014, 15:56
free IPs means to me IPs that you dont need to pay at all. actually they are NOT free.
so it is and will be missleading to me, and i feel OVH cheated me by this image, thats why i ask what i ask in my first post

by terms i agreed to pay, but that is not what im trying to talk about there.

Criot
27-09-2014, 15:47
That clearly says 'per month' - It doesn't say they're completely free. I disagree with you and although it isn't clear, from a legal perspective it can quite easily be argued that it isn't misleading. They also clearly outline it on the website as well, hardly OVH's fault that you didn't take the time to read everything.

mike_
27-09-2014, 14:14
How did you not see that? It's not like it's buried away in tiny text in the footer.

Basically what they're trying to say is the IPs have no monthly fee but do carry a one-time setup fee. To understand this, I guess you do have to be familiar with OVH and know that until recently the IPs were typically 1.69+VAT per month. So I agree the wording could be better, but the pertinent information regarding setup fees was right in front of you.

If you don't install an OS, then they will probably refund the server for you. If you do install an OS, they might argue that you've used it.

postcd
27-09-2014, 13:58
Hello,

i got SoYouStart server
GAME-2 Intel i7 4770K 4 j/ 8 3.5 GHz+ 32 GB 1866 MHz 120 GB SSD

but im very unhappy foudn there are no 16 IPs which i believed i will get.

i discovered they say one must pay around $3 per IP to activate it.

But i got impression they are included in price, this is missleading:

i did not read bottom line, but above image is very missleading and shaddy and i feel cheated by OVH,

so i want to ask cancel server and refund of my server 14 days payment.

I will be hoping OVH will try to understand this missleading and awaiting instructions from staff