OVH Community, your new community space.

Auto assign IP to new VMs under ESXi

vaarsn
07-10-2014, 15:59
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
Sorry guys for the confusion. I got the reply that states it is ok...
Glad to hear

elcct
07-10-2014, 15:17
Sorry guys for the confusion. I got the reply that states it is ok...

Thank you for your email, you can use them for VPS as they are only leased along with VPS Server. So your customer is only leasing the IP.

vaarsn
05-10-2014, 20:36
If a person solely use your service - in this case a virtual machine, you are de facto assigning that person an IP address, which is against T&C.

I think SYS servers are not meant for reselling. I wish I was wrong and I hope someone from OVH could step in and give clarification.
I hope so. Thanks

elcct
05-10-2014, 19:47
Quote Originally Posted by heise
Don't be ridiculous. Do you know how many people can run a server?

You legally don't differenciate between running the server/VM and a user using it and a user running a server and using it.
If a person solely use your service - in this case a virtual machine, you are de facto assigning that person an IP address, which is against T&C.

I think SYS servers are not meant for reselling. I wish I was wrong and I hope someone from OVH could step in and give clarification.

vaarsn
05-10-2014, 17:09
Just ignore my last message. As I see SYS clamps their customers balls in a vice as strong as they can. In my case I will switch my subscription from OVH to another dedicated server provider. I'm a bit disappointed with OVH service. Anyway thanks for your help.

vaarsn
05-10-2014, 16:09
Quote Originally Posted by heise

You legally don't differenciate between running the server/VM and a user using it and a user running a server and using it.
Dear Heise, I meant myself by user. And I asked only for the clarification. So it's not possible to use e.g. cPanel to host additional 100 accounts on it as well? Sorry, but It's new for me, I mean such rules of server usage. Maybe we have a little misunderstanding on this.

heise
05-10-2014, 14:13
where user can install his apps

vaarsn
05-10-2014, 14:10
But according to their T&C only you can use them, not your clients, so you can't do what you want to do. If you want your clients to install their apps on virtual machines, you need to have OVH server, not SYS.
Ok, but can I host my own applications on VMs under ESXi on SYS server and use all 16 IPs for this purpose?

elcct
05-10-2014, 13:09
Can you please explain. If I have an online game with many users, I guess that is fine. Ok, now I have an online game with only one user. That would still be fine, right? Now it is not an online game but an email server, again with only one user. As long as you run the email server or online game and only offer services built on top of that application, I don't see a problem.
If you have game with one user, then it is not fine. By your interpretation, then you could also have a VPS where user can install his apps - and I can see T&C is worded to prohibit such activity.

I have the server with SYS, I have IPs with SYS, so I want to use them.
But according to their T&C only you can use them, not your clients, so you can't do what you want to do. If you want your clients to install their apps on virtual machines, you need to have OVH server, not SYS.

vaarsn
05-10-2014, 11:08
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear... according to SYS terms and conditions:

It means that although you can assign IPs to your ESXi virtual machines, you can't really rent them to your clients (as of customers)
I don't need to sell anything. Only I want is to create VMs with different OSs under ESXi and assign FO IPs to them. Can you guide me with that? My so-called clients doesn't sell anything, but just host their windows and linux apps. This is what I see: I have the server with SYS, I have IPs with SYS, so I want to use them.

Thanks.

heise
05-10-2014, 05:53
Can you please explain. If I have an online game with many users, I guess that is fine. Ok, now I have an online game with only one user. That would still be fine, right? Now it is not an online game but an email server, again with only one user. As long as you run the email server or online game and only offer services built on top of that application, I don't see a problem.

elcct
05-10-2014, 04:12
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear... according to SYS terms and conditions:

The Customer shall not sell, transfer or assign any of its IP addresses to any third party
It means that although you can assign IPs to your ESXi virtual machines, you can't really rent them to your clients (as of customers)

vaarsn
05-10-2014, 02:14
According to their T&C you are not allowed to rent IPs to clients.
A little of googling says the next:
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...over-IPs/page2
But is there any way how can avoid assigning of network settings under guest OS? According to general network standards it must be enough to associate just MAC with Wmvare through SYS control panel. Maybe there is any way to configure ESXi to accept pass through connections? I already enabled promiscuous mode in ESXi network settings.

elcct
05-10-2014, 00:54
Quote Originally Posted by vaarsn
Yes, as far as I know it's possible. To be honest I don't worry about server's part (ESXi side) I'm rather worried about client's (guest OS) part. Because it's more professional and more reliable to set an IP address for specific VM not inside of VM (guest OS) but by administrator, so in this case it will be transparent for end client. Is that possible to make something similar under ESXi hosted with OVH? In a few words, I don't want to my clients see their hard coded IPs in their network settings.
According to their T&C you are not allowed to rent IPs to clients.

vaarsn
04-10-2014, 23:23
Yes, as far as I know it's possible. To be honest I don't worry about server's part (ESXi side) I'm rather worried about client's (guest OS) part. Because it's more professional and more reliable to set an IP address for specific VM not inside of VM (guest OS) but by administrator, so in this case it will be transparent for end client. Is that possible to make something similar under ESXi hosted with OVH? In a few words, I don't want to my clients see their hard coded IPs in their network settings.

heise
04-10-2014, 23:08
I have no knowledge with ESXi. Create failoverIP with MAC in Control Panel. The part to setup DHCP to assign specific IP to specific MAC should be easy. The thing I am not sure about is to push a route via DCHP. Is that possible? If so, it should be possible.

vaarsn
04-10-2014, 20:00
Hello,

Is there any way how can I assign Fileover IP's to my newly created VMs automatically? I mean the next picture:
1. I'm creating Windows\Linux VM under ESXi.
2. When Installation ends I don't want to put IP manually in Network configuration. In another words I want it to be assigned by ESXi DHCP server from preinstalled pool of Fileover IP addresses.

Thanks