OVH Community, your new community space.

Information about Virtual Macs

LinuxGam
07-10-2014, 20:30
Hi David,

If I understand your question correctly, I believe I had the opposite problem to you, however the solution should work for you as well as far as I can tell.

I added in some FO IP's to the main network card and all of a sudden a certain feed which I access regularly that was firewalled to only allow my main IP stopped working. I went to one of those web pages to show your external IP and I was sending from the new FO not the default card address, It turns out Windows has a set of rules it runs through to pick the best source IP,. but this can be overridden with certain command line flags only when you create the IP.

I deleted the FO IP and then added back in using this syntax on the command line.

Netsh Int IPv4 Add Address SkipAsSource=True

I see no reason why you can't get the FO IP working first, change your RDP session to use the new FO IP, delete your main IP and then add back in using the command line above. That way it will only use your FO IP as source as the main IP will be skipped as source. Please bare in mind that I have not tested it this way and have no idea if the FO IP would stop working without the main IP there, although my hunch is it wouldn't. If it does indeed break it then you can still finish off the exercise via KVM.

Hope this helps and I understood your question correctly.

Matt

Razakel
07-10-2014, 13:29
Quote Originally Posted by davidhan
I'm looking for a way to allow a windows box to have the outgoing IP of the failover,
I know it possible under VM's.
Would the use of a virtual mac allow a loopback adapter to be configured as if it was a entirely seperate Network card with internet access?
I doubt it. The only way to do what you describe under Linux is to use iptables to modify the source IP on outgoing packets. I don't think anyone's figured out a way to do it under Windows.

heise
07-10-2014, 09:44
http://guides.ovh.com/BridgeClient

davidhan
07-10-2014, 09:14
Hello every one!

I'm looking for a way to allow a windows box to have the outgoing IP of the failover,
I know it possible under VM's.
Would the use of a virtual mac allow a loopback adapter to be configured as if it was a entirely seperate Network card with internet access?

Thank's a lot!