OVH Community, your new community space.

Geolocated IPs

Moose
18-10-2014, 22:06
I'm thinking that it may be this last line of every whois (which do show on the first section GB)
route: 46.105.0.0/16
descr: OVH ISP
descr: Paris, France
origin: AS16276
mnt-by: OVH-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered
The whole /16 is registered to France, anyhow the reason I was interested was that when I use my server for VPN I would like to be seen as in the UK so then I get the english version of pages, can watch bbc iplayer etc. Also visitors to the site might think it's a french speaking site if they use flagfox plugin for instance.

Anyhow I don't really mind but it just is good, and it's not like I'm affecting users at all as Paris and London are so close together that pings aren't affected.

Daniel OVH
16-10-2014, 12:18
If you run 'whois ' it will give you the correct and most recent details. These 3rd party sites need a while to refresh their database unless their site queries the WHOIS servers directly (some do, some don't)

alex
16-10-2014, 01:49
you need to use ripe.net database to check the location of IP, as majority of other websites are out of date!

heise
16-10-2014, 00:05
Well, let's ask the other way around, what's that point in geolocating an IP to England, if the server is in France. Don't blame the people using old databases, that don't let themselves get fooled by the "geolocation" option.

Moose
15-10-2014, 22:53
Thanks for responses, but whats the point of geolocating if it shows up as France to most people?

AlbaHost
10-10-2014, 16:02
Quote Originally Posted by Moose
I just paid the setup fee for a block of 8 ips for my SYS server and they are meant to be located in GB, however they are showing up as France? It's been a few days so it's not like it hasn't propagated or anything.
If you are using whatismyip, whatismyipaddress etc, it will still show you OVH SAS FR, i suggest you use ping.eu for whois lookup.

Razakel
09-10-2014, 19:10
You just need to update the RIPE Organisation information for the block.

Moose
09-10-2014, 18:59
I just paid the setup fee for a block of 8 ips for my SYS server and they are meant to be located in GB, however they are showing up as France? It's been a few days so it's not like it hasn't propagated or anything.