OVH Community, your new community space.

Setting up DHCP

spiderindo
12-10-2014, 14:11
Quote Originally Posted by Mango Chutney
I want to run virtual machines on my server, and I will setup DHCP in order to assign IP Addresses. I have a Server Support company in order to do this, however they are telling me I need two network cards which I find hard to believe as I have seen others on here who are running VM's. I have installed the DHCP Server
Yes you right.

Do I need dedicated IP's for each virtual machine I run?
No. You can use just one IP.

Do I need another NIC, if not why isn't it allowing any connections to the VM's - In this case I was running Windows 7 just to make configuration easier with the GUI etc.
No. You can assign all VM just use 1 NIC, no need additional NIC. I have SYS server with 50 VMs, do I need 50 NICs? Absolute not, just 1 NIC used.
Btw, what you need is the important feature of OVH which not all Data Center have: Failover IP!
Please read OVH documentation about Failover IP, they have very detail explanation and there is also sample config for both Linux and Windows.

heise
11-10-2014, 12:29
You asked similar question here http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...e-an-extra-NIC

Mango Chutney
11-10-2014, 11:10
Hello,

I want to run virtual machines on my server, and I will setup DHCP in order to assign IP Addresses. I have a Server Support company in order to do this, however they are telling me I need two network cards which I find hard to believe as I have seen others on here who are running VM's. I have installed the DHCP Server, but I haven't had any intervention since then as they have taken it over for me (as that's what I pay them for).

Few questions;

Do I need dedicated IP's for each virtual machine I run?
Do I need another NIC, if not why isn't it allowing any connections to the VM's - In this case I was running Windows 7 just to make configuration easier with the GUI etc.

Thank you!