OVH Community, your new community space.

Praise and selectable recovery image

boffin
17-10-2014, 21:39
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Steve,

What version of it is it? I've just seen an impressive presentation and I am a great lover of ZFS anyway. I have a half rack in the UK but no spare hardware to put it on so I may get a SYS 3x120GB SSD if it will go on there.
It's currently "SmartOS Live Image v0.147+ build: 20140515T211957Z".

It PXE boots - so there's no scope to update it. There are some hacks to install it on local drives - but it's a hack. Only other option is to install on a USB stick (still need to confirm the machine can boot from the USB stick).

I'm relatively new to ZFS but have had good results, so far, with ZFS on my linux boxes.

Steve.

DigitalDaz
17-10-2014, 21:17
Quote Originally Posted by boffin
Hi Daz,

I see it offered as an install option on both my Kimsufi and SYS boxes. Towards the bottom of the list, under "Solaris" - "Joyent - SmartOS".

Steve.
Steve,

What version of it is it? I've just seen an impressive presentation and I am a great lover of ZFS anyway. I have a half rack in the UK but no spare hardware to put it on so I may get a SYS 3x120GB SSD if it will go on there.

boffin
17-10-2014, 20:34
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
What are you running smartos on? I do not see this offered any more?
Hi Daz,

I see it offered as an install option on both my Kimsufi and SYS boxes. Towards the bottom of the list, under "Solaris" - "Joyent - SmartOS".

Steve.

DigitalDaz
17-10-2014, 20:10
Quote Originally Posted by boffin
Hello,

Firstly, the nature of this forum is such that there is more criticism than praise. I'd just like to say that I have a SYS and a Kimsufi box, and I can't fault the performance and service of either for the money. Very easy to manage and, so far, quite reliable.

Would it be possible to make the recovery image user selectable? I know there's "recovery-pro" which is the Debian flavour of linux and, when I install BSD, I'm given the BSD recovery. Could we select the recovery image we use independently of the OS installed?

I'm currently using SmartOS, where the BSD recovery image would be better for me (stock ZFS support). However, with a SmartOS install, I'm defaulted to "recovery pro". This is useful but I'd like to be able to use both dependent on my need (sometimes, every with SmartOS, linux recovery would be useful).

Thank you,

Steve.
What are you running smartos on? I do not see this offered any more?

boffin
17-10-2014, 14:27
Hello,

Firstly, the nature of this forum is such that there is more criticism than praise. I'd just like to say that I have a SYS and a Kimsufi box, and I can't fault the performance and service of either for the money. Very easy to manage and, so far, quite reliable.

Would it be possible to make the recovery image user selectable? I know there's "recovery-pro" which is the Debian flavour of linux and, when I install BSD, I'm given the BSD recovery. Could we select the recovery image we use independently of the OS installed?

I'm currently using SmartOS, where the BSD recovery image would be better for me (stock ZFS support). However, with a SmartOS install, I'm defaulted to "recovery pro". This is useful but I'd like to be able to use both dependent on my need (sometimes, every with SmartOS, linux recovery would be useful).

Thank you,

Steve.