OVH Community, your new community space.

GAME DDoS protection -OVH

C0n
07-12-2014, 14:17
So i have been watching this topic and since the start and i am curious if this was fixed or not ? Seems very bad that you are waiting so long and everyone can be knocked offline via Layer 4 Attacks.

Should occur to OVH if your servers are offline 24/7 because of this you will go find a better host with protection since why pay for something that is offline every month.

Also i am curious for you guys with multiple game servers do you not just purchase a firewall for it does it protect them all or will it just protect a single server ? http://www.soyoustart.com/en/cisco-asa-firewall.xml

And this might be intreasting : http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...ll=1#post66773

nikooo777
09-11-2014, 20:14
i've waited 2 weeks now and none of my two emails sent to the team got an answer.
I guess they don't care so much.

I will give them phone calls until they start listening (eventually)

Maki187
28-10-2014, 18:52
I agree, Layer 7 attack protection is much more cheaper then Layer 4 Protection.
I also host Game Servers with all OVH servers I have, so I'm interested in Game DDoS protection, as I host more then 100 Game Servers, and it's same case with me.
Until few months ago, no one colud put down our servers, now, that is constant problem, like there is no protection.

Criot
24-10-2014, 10:46
Quote Originally Posted by C0n
Comming to read this post has been really a eye opener.

And it makes me question something about OVH.

Now given this quote from their CEO I will specify this mostly.

This will mean that OVH does not protect your project from "ANY TYPE OF DDOS ATTACK" and more specifically "Layer 4" Attacks they do not offer us protection.

Does anyone know what server ranges do not have protection if it is infastructure, Hosting, Enterprise ? I find this very alarming.
All of them have DDoS Protection by default, I believe that OVH protection simply doesn't have the ability to filter out Layer 4 attacks. From what I gather, protecting against Layer 4 attacks is much more costly than Layer 7, and most attacks are generally Layer 7 so it does, in a way, make sense.

C0n
24-10-2014, 06:38
Comming to read this post has been really a eye opener.

And it makes me question something about OVH.

It's not a question of knowing if you need anti-DDoS protection but rather when you will first be the victim of an attack. OVH is committed to protecting your project 24/7 against any type of DDoS attack, regardless of duration or size.
Now given this quote from their CEO I will specify this mostly.
OVH is committed to protecting your project 24/7 against any type of DDoS attack, regardless of duration or size.
This will mean that OVH does not protect your project from "ANY TYPE OF DDOS ATTACK" and more specifically "Layer 4" Attacks they do not offer us protection.

Does anyone know what server ranges do not have protection if it is infastructure, Hosting, Enterprise ? I find this very alarming.

nikooo777
23-10-2014, 21:20
that might be the thing, however I'd be looking forward to try the beta out as an ovh customer, given the amount of DDoS attacks i receive daily, it would be worth trying that protection

Criot
23-10-2014, 20:34
Could be that another point of the Game Range is to test the new protection, perhaps it will be rolled out across the board once game beta ends?

nikooo777
23-10-2014, 20:30
There's been a lot of layer 7 attacks, however since the OVH rules were very effective with such attacks, attackers are slowly starting to move towards layer 4 attacks.

I know OVH is developing specific rules for gameservers such as counter-strike ones (i host these), however they are only available as beta in the soyoustart game range.

There are API functions that would allow you putting an OVH ip on game mitigation, however they just return an error when you try to use them:
Not Found (404){ "message": "The requested object (ip = 37.187.142.159/32) does not exist" }

Criot
23-10-2014, 19:06
Do you know what layer attacks these are? I believe OVH Mitigation only prevents Layer 7 attacks, so if they're using Layer 4 attacks on you I don't believe OVH DDoS Protection will make any difference. Not sure what changes there are in GAME protection though, maybe that can prevent Layer 4.

nikooo777
23-10-2014, 18:53
Hello,
I have two servers with OVH and I run a big gaming community with several full gameservers.
We moved to OVH due to constant DDoS attacks and when we arrived here it was like the paradise.

However since then, it's got worse. Every day I'm getting attacked and my server is obviously under permanent mitigation, however it looks like the mitigation is not really effective, as a massive amount of traffic can still reach our ports.

I have two questions:
1) Can we possibly assign our OVH ips to game-mitigation available for the game range in soyoustart? We have a big amount of traffic that that would certainly help the team working on the DDoS protection tuning it.

2) Is anybody from that team available to look into my traffic along with me to analyze and develop a better filter for gameservers?

I speak french (I can't write it tho) so if the technicians can't speak english I'd have no troubles understanding them.

I'm really looking forward in solving the constant attacks by filtering them out somehow.

Please let me know.
Greetings,
Nikooo777
(NIC handle: sn50872-ovh )