OVH Community, your new community space.

ECC Ram

Criot
02-11-2014, 12:54
Quote Originally Posted by LinuxGam
With the lowering cost of SSD drives and CPU's now rarely being a bottleneck, the SYS range of SSD servers is becoming a viable choice for some "real" servers. I notice however that all the SSD servers don't have ECC ram. If this is just to keep the costs down is it possible to pay whatever it costs to upgrade this or is it a case of moving to the professional range and that's why it's not possible?

Before someone hops on and say if that what you want then go OVH, I have multiple servers with OVH, including a BIG HG with 8x SSD on Fastpath and Dual upgraded CPU's, however, cost wise if I could get ECC ram with SSD's then it would we be a very nice deal, especially the SSD4 that is rarer than a virgin sheep in the pets corner of a welsh jail.
All ovh servers are already pre built models so no, it wouldn't be possible unless you select a model with ECC already or purchase from OVH directly as you suggested. More than likely that OVH did this for a few reasons on SYS:
- Keep costs down, the servers are intended to be cheap, hence 'so you start' being the brand name.
- Those who require ECC RAM and want to buy from OVH would either need the ECC models (which aren't always available) or would need to get from OVH directly.

At the end of the day it's a marketing strategy, maybe once they release the 2015 ranges for OVH, SYS will get some new configurations as well. We'll just have to wait and see!

LinuxGam
02-11-2014, 00:28
With the lowering cost of SSD drives and CPU's now rarely being a bottleneck, the SYS range of SSD servers is becoming a viable choice for some "real" servers. I notice however that all the SSD servers don't have ECC ram. If this is just to keep the costs down is it possible to pay whatever it costs to upgrade this or is it a case of moving to the professional range and that's why it's not possible?

Before someone hops on and say if that what you want then go OVH, I have multiple servers with OVH, including a BIG HG with 8x SSD on Fastpath and Dual upgraded CPU's, however, cost wise if I could get ECC ram with SSD's then it would we be a very nice deal, especially the SSD4 that is rarer than a virgin sheep in the pets corner of a welsh jail.