OVH Community, your new community space.

1Gbit & bandwidth cap on SyS servers

john_gb
21-11-2014, 12:41
I was checking the network speed between my two servers in seperate RBX datacenters and found that without even touching the internet the TCP speed is regulated/capped down to just less than 250Mb/s, however, I also discovered that UDP traffic appears NOT to be getting capped (at least between SYS servers) and could operate at close to the full 1Gb/s.

Test tool is iperf3.

elcct
17-11-2014, 15:08
Quote Originally Posted by theatheist
https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers...bande-passante

How is my allocated burst period calculated?

Every 6 hours, we recalculate the average bandwidth consumed (based on 95%) and we compare it to 50% of the guaranteed bandwidth. If it's less, we don't change anything, but if it's higher, we will disable the burst temporarily and you won't be able to reactivate it. In other words, for 5% of the month (meaning 1 half day), you are entitled to 1 Gbps or 3 Gbps with no limitation. If beyond that half day you consume over 50% of the guaranteed bandwidth, your burst will be disabled and you can only use your guaranteed bandwidth.
That's for OVH, non SYS

theatheist
16-11-2014, 00:59
https://www.ovh.ie/dedicated_servers...bande-passante

How is my allocated burst period calculated?

Every 6 hours, we recalculate the average bandwidth consumed (based on 95%) and we compare it to 50% of the guaranteed bandwidth. If it's less, we don't change anything, but if it's higher, we will disable the burst temporarily and you won't be able to reactivate it. In other words, for 5% of the month (meaning 1 half day), you are entitled to 1 Gbps or 3 Gbps with no limitation. If beyond that half day you consume over 50% of the guaranteed bandwidth, your burst will be disabled and you can only use your guaranteed bandwidth.

elcct
15-11-2014, 00:25
Maybe they didn't configure some equipment properly and now are fixing it.

mike_
13-11-2014, 23:21
It really does seem to depend on available network capacity, and perhaps your most recent usage. I doubt OVH will disclose the rules.

In the past I've been able to achieve speeds like this on my SYS server:

Whereas at the moment I'm clearly being held under that 250Mb speed:

elcct
13-11-2014, 16:56
Also to the outside world:

Code:
root@gc:~# speedtest-cli --server 3728
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Testing from OVH SAS (188.165.x.x)...
Hosted by Virgin Media (London) [343.28 km]: 9.929 ms
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 831.99 Mbits/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 137.33 Mbits/s
Code:
root@gc:~# speedtest-cli --server 2789
Hosted by Vodafone UK (London) [343.28 km]: 53.503 ms
Download: 363.44 Mbits/s
Upload: 117.97 Mbits/s
Code:
root@gc:~# speedtest-cli 
Selecting best server based on latency...
Hosted by MEDIACTIVE NETWORK (Paris) [1.59 km]: 5.088 ms
Download: 716.74 Mbits/s
Upload: 204.40 Mbits/s
Code:
root@gc:~# speedtest-cli --server 4045
Hosted by SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. (Amsterdam) [429.41 km]: 18.163 ms
Download: 678.94 Mbits/s
Upload: 124.29 Mbits/s
As you can see I am not even able to do over 150Mbps to the outside of France...

elcct
13-11-2014, 13:10
Quote Originally Posted by heise
No, if resources permit, you can also get more than 250 MBps outgoing traffic. It's just not guaranteed.

Final result:

I have quite a few SYS servers and was never able to go beyond 250Mbps.

Code:
Client connecting to somesysserver, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  3] local anothersysserver port 45884 connected with somesysserver port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   274 MBytes   230 Mbits/sec

theatheist
12-11-2014, 23:50
Quote Originally Posted by elcct
Outgoing bandwidth is capped at 250Mbps, that means you won't be able to download anything from you SYS server faster than that. Only incoming traffic can get up to 1Gbps.
Wrong.

heise
12-11-2014, 08:38
No, if resources permit, you can also get more than 250 MBps outgoing traffic. It's just not guaranteed.

Final result:

elcct
12-11-2014, 01:23
Outgoing bandwidth is capped at 250Mbps, that means you won't be able to download anything from you SYS server faster than that. Only incoming traffic can get up to 1Gbps.

theatheist
08-11-2014, 04:30
Quote Originally Posted by Azertify
That doesn't make sense to me, if 250Mbit is guaranteed, doesn't that mean that you will always get at least 250Mbit?
I'm willing to bite the bullet here since I'm getting even less than that on my current server, do you know if there are any bandwidth caps, or is it the same DBAA policy that OVH had on the MiniSP?
You're confusing bandwidth and traffic.

The SYS servers (and the mSP) are both on a 1Gb line with minimum bandwidth of 250Mbps (200Mbps for mSP). Your bandwidth is guaranteed but your speed obviously depends on the other party(s) you're connected to and transit/peering etc.

When you ask about bandwidth cap I'm going to assume what you actually mean is "traffic", the answer is no, there is no traffic cap.

heise
07-11-2014, 23:37
No caps, but once you are in the internet, no speed is guaranteed and that's the reason, why you can get less than 250MBit. So maybe the same problem you are facing now.

Azertify
07-11-2014, 22:38
Quote Originally Posted by heise
No upgrade. 250 MBit is garanteed, but that does not mean you always get it. On the other hand you are on a 1GBit line, so you can sometimes get more than 250 MBit.
That doesn't make sense to me, if 250Mbit is guaranteed, doesn't that mean that you will always get at least 250Mbit?
I'm willing to bite the bullet here since I'm getting even less than that on my current server, do you know if there are any bandwidth caps, or is it the same DBAA policy that OVH had on the MiniSP?

heise
07-11-2014, 22:27
No upgrade. 250 MBit is garanteed, but that does not mean you always get it. On the other hand you are on a 1GBit line, so you can sometimes get more than 250 MBit.

Azertify
07-11-2014, 22:09
Hi all.
I'm on a MiniSP server at the moment, the ones that were essentially discontinued and replaced with the SyS servers.

I'm paying 35/month extra for a 1Gbit line, and (even though I should be using about 450Mbit) I can only get 150Mbit out of it.
Thinking about switching to a SyS server, since it's actually cheaper for what I need, if only I could pay extra for a 1Gb line. Is it possible for me to pay extra to upgrade from the 250Mbit line to a 1Gbit line?

Also, I'd be interested to know if there are any bandwidth caps, I don't think I've encountered any with my MiniSP server, so this would be interesting too.

Thanks in advance,

Azertify.