OVH Community, your new community space.

Windows Hyper-V 2012 (R2) Core version - Install GUI?

minimadsens
29-11-2014, 18:29
My bad, i get it now.
Couldn't make it work though.

heise
28-11-2014, 13:02
Hyper-V is a virtualization solution from Microsoft like Promox or VMware Esxi. It shares the name Windows in its name but has nothing to do with Windows server itself. You cannot run Windows programs on it. If you yourself mention "Core or standard" it seems to me, you did not understand that Microsoft product. There is no GUI included.

Just to be clear, in normal Windows 2012 R2 standard you can add the "hyper-V" role to enabling virtualization in Windows server. Windows 2012 R2 server is not free software, Windows Hyper-V is.

minimadsens
28-11-2014, 11:34
Thank you for your reply.

I do know what Hyper-V is, yes.
I had the possibility to install Hyper-V 2012 R2 (64-bit) but no where did it tell me that it was Console, or Core version as it is called.
So i believed it to be standard version.

So now I'm looking for a way to turn on the GUI, and none of what I've found Online seems to be possible.

heise
28-11-2014, 10:34
Hi, you do know what Hyper-V is? It's not Windows if that is what you are looking for. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V If you want windows you can install it yourself, see signature, or rent Windows licence from SoYouStart or add your own SPLA licence.

minimadsens
28-11-2014, 08:43
As you might have figured out by now I've installed the Windows Hyper-V 2012 (R2). Is it possible to enable the GUI?
I've tried to find some information online, but i seems like I'm missing some files.

Please advice.