OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH IP whitelist

Dani
19-12-2014, 12:16
Hi

The IP 92.222.185.1 is part of the monitoring system local to SBG.

Here is the information:

inetnum: 92.222.185.0 - 92.222.185.255
netname: FR-OVH-NETMON-SBG
descr: SBG Datacenters Network Monitoring
admin-c: OK217-RIPE
tech-c: OTC2-RIPE
mnt-by: OVH-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

Danny

Kathos
02-12-2014, 22:42
If no one from OVH is going to officially say anything on this, I'll have to assume, if it's not one of theirs, it's actually an imposter and thus I should be sending an email to the "abuse" contact.

Kathos
29-11-2014, 16:19
Thanks Heise, I think I found the section you were trying to reference.
Just for reference, I'm not sure if there is a difference, but I order my server via ovh.co.uk, not kimsufi, still trying to grasp the difference between OVH different brands and subs.

The IP in question that appears to be from OVH (and was temp blocked multiple times then perma-blocked when it persisted), is 92.222.185.1, it's from France and the reverse DNS for it is, netmon-1-sbg.ovh.net, so based upon the unoffical FAQ (same information as http://help.ovh.co.uk/FireWall), it's not, they also only mention domains, not IP address. Hence why I'm asking the query.
It just seems like it might be an monitoring IP, but being the security cautious person I am, I'm not going to open the door in my firewall, until I get an official answer on it.

It sounds like I don't want to ignore it either, since if it is really is OVH monitoring, they will restart my server to try fix my server. Not that I'll notice of course atm, I'm still setting it up in my spare time, but I will once it goes into full production I'll be annoyed of course if they restart it without notice.

heise
29-11-2014, 14:42
See unofficial FAQ

Kathos
29-11-2014, 14:29
Every webhost, often has a list of IP address', which is their IP address' used to do net monitoring and other similar useful services.
Since my firewall (CSF) has apparently blocked an IP address that might be doing that service, I thought it might be a good idea, to ask for that list of IP's since I'm having trouble finding it. I've always like the idea my host can at least monitor my server, but I'm not going to unblock an IP, just because the domain says it's from ****.OVH.net

So far, configuring my dedicated server, has gone okay, except the little problem I had with the kernel (not a fan of custom kernels)
These servers are really fast, no argument there, even from across the pond (my server is in Canada, accessed from the UK)
Definitely recommend original kernel over the OVH custom ones (no offense to OVH), but it was easier than figuring out, how to fix the missing module in IPtables (xt_connlimit) for CSF to work right in Cpanel. Other than that, it's be fine.

I've found some IP address's to white list, but none have mention net monitoring, unless I've just been looking in the wrong place.