OVH Community, your new community space.

Unusable server

bwa
03-12-2014, 13:33
Tried rescue mode, full hardware test reveals memory error...
Bit Flip : setting 164Test FAILURE return code : 9 error(s) detected [Logs]
Full log:
http://pastebin.com/m9mSg14d

Neil
03-12-2014, 12:22
Hi

If it affects both kernels and there was no errors on the screen, I suggest you check the server logs and also boot the server into Rescue Mode to do a hardware test.

bwa
03-12-2014, 11:59
This operation was closed at 2014-12-03 11:53:03

Here are the details of this operation:
HARD Reboot
Date 2014-12-03 11:49:08, matthieu.debuy made HARD Reboot:
Here are the details of the operation performed:
No information on the screen ("black screen"). No response to keyboard.

Actions:
Restart the server hardware.

result:
Boot OK. Server can 'login'. Ping OK, services started.
So nothing actually done about it, just done what I could have done myself. The problem still occurs.

bwa
02-12-2014, 11:19
Just tried default distro kernel but the problem still occurs.

Seems to be outbound only. I can max the gigabit connection incoming but trying the same outgoing it dies after ~10 seconds.

edan
02-12-2014, 02:40
Quote Originally Posted by bwa
Running OVH kernel.

Next time it happens I'll wait a few hours then.
OVH kernel has known problems with stability so you should use the default distributions kernel.

bwa
02-12-2014, 00:19
Running OVH kernel.

Next time it happens I'll wait a few hours then.

Criot
01-12-2014, 18:05
Quote Originally Posted by bwa
I do receive emails of defects, but how long am I expected to wait? I waited an hour yesterday and nothing. Ideally I don't want the server offline any longer than needed. Perhaps I can post all the defect emails here?
Usually Technicians will intervene within a few hours.

What kernel are you running? OVH Kernel or the Distros standard kernel?

Neil
01-12-2014, 15:52
Hi

The defect emails do not mean anything other than the server is offline, you would need to wait for us to intervene to see what the issue is.

bwa
01-12-2014, 12:03
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hello

When the server goes offline do you receive a defect email? If so perhaps do not reboot the server and then you can allow us to intervene on the server.
I do receive emails of defects, but how long am I expected to wait? I waited an hour yesterday and nothing. Ideally I don't want the server offline any longer than needed. Perhaps I can post all the defect emails here?

Neil
01-12-2014, 11:44
Hello

When the server goes offline do you receive a defect email? If so perhaps do not reboot the server and then you can allow us to intervene on the server.

bwa
01-12-2014, 10:23
I've had to disable backups to OVH FTP just to keep the server from going offline which is far from ideal.

bwa
01-12-2014, 10:13
Hi

Had a SYS server for a few days now and had to do a cold reboot on 5 occasions as the server becomes completely unresponsive - drops off the network and can't even ping. It seems to occur every time backups are run or the network port is being heavily utilized - simply downloading a large file from the server will knock it completely offline within 10 seconds or so.

Ideally I would like the problem fixed (hardware issue?) but if not a full refund - I can't be dealing with this poor service.

Regards