OVH Community, your new community space.

Almost non stop - Destination Host Unreachable

john_gb
14-12-2014, 07:11
May be a long shot, but I think I saw somewhere else the OVH/SYS anti DDOS protection system causing this kind of problem. Certainly worth checking before you assume hardware failure.

accountbg2
11-12-2014, 17:11
Quote Originally Posted by TomOVH
In order to find out if this is a hardware problem or not I'll need you to perform a few tests. You can do this by firstly putting your server into rescue mode and rebooting. Once you've done this, you will receive an email from OVH giving you a username and password and a link to a graphical interface where you can perform tests on your server.

In case you are unsure of what to do, there is a help section in the OVH guides about performing tests in rescue mode:

http://help.ovh.co.uk/RescueMode

If a hardware problem is detected please send us an email to support@ovh.ie
Hello Tom,
I know how to put my machine in RescueMode. Actually after I initiated ESXI reinstall, it was stuck on step 1 from over 1 hours, so I was forced to use RescueMode. I used it several times last 2 days (mainly like a middle step for ESXI reinstallation). But I found something really odd.
I select RescueMode. And initiate a restart. But after around 15 minutes I end up with message like:
"We've received your request concerning hard reboot of ns3511724.ip-94-23-46.eu. The server has been rebooted but it isn't responding to ping command. "
I have to hit the restart button again and with some luck it restarts property (the second time).
But overall you provide the hardware and I also use your per-configured ESXI temperate. So i only provide virtual machines.
Since all virtual machines are isolated inside the ESXI, I don't believe that they could cause ESXI to freeze or timeout.
Even more with complete new ESXI installation I create a simple virtual machine template and it can't transfer it to my notebook without a timeout. I believe that I am put into per-configured environment, so if it create issues, they are not on my end.
I run a virtual machine from 3-4 hours and it works well. Hope it will be like this in the feature. I will run 3-4 more virtual machines, because the one I run now is only 1.5 ram and 1 core 1 thread.
One more thing, on a Russian board they discuss something about timeout because of CPU overload. I don't know if it is possible or not, but last time I found DropBox to cause 100% CPU load, so maybe it is possible. I removed the DropBox.
http://forum.ovh.lt/archive/index.php/t-984.html

Thank you for your time and efforts .

P.S.
I already tested CPU and RAM, before 1 or 2 days. Do you know a way to test Network card/Lan interface?

I will keep it as it is for now, if I face timeout/Destination Host Unreachable issue again I will preform all possible test.

Once again thank you, it is a nice hint.

TomOVH
11-12-2014, 14:42
In order to find out if this is a hardware problem or not I'll need you to perform a few tests. You can do this by firstly putting your server into rescue mode and rebooting. Once you've done this, you will receive an email from OVH giving you a username and password and a link to a graphical interface where you can perform tests on your server.

In case you are unsure of what to do, there is a help section in the OVH guides about performing tests in rescue mode:

http://help.ovh.co.uk/RescueMode

If a hardware problem is detected please send us an email to support@ovh.ie

accountbg2
11-12-2014, 12:54
Also tested my connection to OVH:
http://ipv4.proof.ovh.net/
Download Speed: 46659 kbps (5832.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 13701 kbps (1712.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Don't really believe that my connection could overload the dedicated server. I am reading some Russian boards now, if it is not the ESXI itself, it should be some hardware issue.

accountbg2
11-12-2014, 12:36
Little update: Disabled SSH (port 22). Was on by default. Changed all password. I believe it could be an issue with ESXI 5.0, I tried to update in before 1 day, but the update command actually freeze the whole thing and cause timeout issue/destination host not available (again).

accountbg2
11-12-2014, 12:14
One more.
Just before a minutes. I had a timeout. I don't see in the admin panel a reboot or something like that.
But ESXI is restarted and all machines are stopped.
Is it an issue with ESXI 5.0, and if yes could you upgrade me to 5.5?

accountbg2
11-12-2014, 12:09
Hello guys,

I have the following problem. I use ESXI and I did some test (last days). I also reinstalled it over 10 times.
My main problem is that my dedicated server times out without reason and overall on irregular intervals.
I had a case brand new ESXI reinstalled and boom "timeout". Now i have 5 virtual machines installed and they are just installed, not even an application run on them. And again timeout.
>From 213.186.33.13: Destination Host Unreachable
I also tested another scenario. ESXI installed. only one virtual machine and I tried to export it to my notebook, and again Time Out.

Sometimes it fixes on it own:
PING ns3511724.ip-94-23-46.eu (94.23.46.136) from 213.186.33.13 : 56(84) bytes of data.
>From 213.186.33.13: Host is alive

Sometimes I must restart.
Your server is in rack 22C03

Yes I know I did a lot of tests in the past few days. But yesterday (night) I reinstalled ESXI and just put 5 virtual machines on it. They had a small arp issue, because I copied them one from another, but I believe I fixed it now.

Please take a look at my server and if possible find what cause the time out. Even on super low speed life transfer between my notebook and dedicated server the timeout is presented.

I have two kimsufi dedicated servers, but they are OK, not a single issue from the beginning.
And with this rack 22C03 it seems that very slight traffic/transfer could cause a timeout.

Yes, i don't have enough knowledge and experience, but it will be good if you could investigate my case.
Thank you