OVH Community, your new community space.

Confused about storage and RAID

kanters
09-01-2015, 15:50
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Yes, that would be right, ESXi requires hardware RAID.

You can use a hypervisor like Proxmox with software RAID but even that is unsupported.
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Neil said SoftRAID so yes, you would need MegaRAID.

It's down to the operating system whether or not it can support Software RAID, not the server provider.
Ok. Thanks for the update.

Criot
09-01-2015, 15:33
Quote Originally Posted by kanters
So you mean to tell me that it is impossible to have a secure (RAID 1) ESXi server at SYS? Or do I have get the servers with Mega RAID?
Neil said SoftRAID so yes, you would need MegaRAID.

It's down to the operating system whether or not it can support Software RAID, not the server provider.

DigitalDaz
09-01-2015, 15:32
Quote Originally Posted by kanters
So you mean to tell me that it is impossible to have a secure (RAID 1) ESXi server at SYS? Or do I have get the servers with Mega RAID?
Yes, that would be right, ESXi requires hardware RAID.

You can use a hypervisor like Proxmox with software RAID but even that is unsupported.

kanters
09-01-2015, 15:07
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

Esxi does not support Softraid so each disk is independent.

Neil
09-01-2015, 10:35
Hi

Esxi does not support Softraid so each disk is independent.

kanters
08-01-2015, 23:01
Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the storage I get when I rent a server. In the past I rented a server with 2x2TB with Soft raid. When I started to install ESXi I then disabled the RAID function to get 4TB of storage.

Yesterday I ordered a new server because I want to host some things that I want in a RAID. During the installation of ESXi (via the website) I made sure I selected the RAID 1 option. Now, when I try and expand the Datastore i'm able to increase to 4TB. So my question is the following:

The 2x2TB storage I get when ordering a server, is this 4TB for my personal use and already in RAID 1? Or do I remove the RAID when I expand my Datastore to 4TB? I always tought the 2x2TB meant that, if I use RAID 1 i would have a maximum storage capacity of 2TB.