OVH Community, your new community space.

EG Server Woes (Could this be true?)

Asylum
23-01-2015, 00:09
Absolutely, and I usually get extra IP's anyway (makes things easier to migrate if needed later), but should I should not have an absolute need to do so because my main IP is getting beat on. As I mentioned, I realize that can rewrite/reroute, but not the point.

Criot
23-01-2015, 00:02
Would it not be easier to get a Failover IP (pretty sure you only pay for a setup fee anyway) and then use the OVH Anti-DDoS to create a firewall and simply block all port 80 traffic? You can then run your actual web server on the Failover IP, or simply use it for everything and block all traffic to the main IP.

Asylum
22-01-2015, 22:27
Not sure where to turn for this, so figured I would post here. Have been an active OVH member for three years approximately, never really had any problems, so only a couple minor brushes with OVH support.

Figured I would add an EG-2013 to my collection, 6TB be good to assist with backups, etc. I received the login information within a couple minutes for my new RBX-based EG. Been down this road before, so promptly installed Debian and away I go. Happened to be looking at the webserver logs and my server was getting pummeled with hits from many places - my custom fail2ban filters working overtime. I checked tcputilities, and sure enough there is a domain (I'll leave it unnamed for now) attached to my IP and google links everywhere - guess where it all ends up...

I instantly setup a ticket with OVH as a precautionary measure as I didn't want to be blamed for nefarious traffic. I also contacted the domain's registrar immediately. Registrar basically says nothing they can do about it, go talk to the host, host (OVH) tells me to goto the registrar (righly in my opinion since the registrar maintains the authority).

Here is where the fun begins, and I'm going to paste my OVH ticket chain (with censored IP address and domain name for now). To say the least, the OVH level of support is beyond disappointing, it's embarrassing.

Here's the OVH ticket from top to bottom (so far):
[2015-01-20 00:09:23]
Greetings, this is more for information purposes, however perhaps something maybe done on your end. There is a Domain 'cxxxxxxs.com' pointed at my server, I noticed this only as a result of many hits on my webserver (out of the ordinary). Confirmation:

http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-...176.31.xxx.xxx

I have contacted the regsitrar @ (internet.bs) to file a ticket, screenshot of my chat conversation:
http://puush.xxx.xxx.xxx/9Lnl

I subsequently sent an email per instruction.

Is there anything we can do from our side?

Thanks,
------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-01-20 00:27:30 << MY ADDITIONAL FOLLOWUP

Hello,

I happened to research this cxxxxxxxs.com thing and to me, it appears to be a scam that the previous owner walked away from.
http://netbusinessrating.com/en/review-xxxxxx-xxxxx

For this reason, I have fears for this IP address going forward and would appreciate being able to move to a different server. Can you accomodate this for me?

I do not need time to perform backups since there is nothing on this server that matters, so I would appreciate a move at the soonest possible availability.

Please advise?

Thank you,
---------------------------------------------------
2015-01-20 15:30:37
Hello,

The domain pointing towards your IP should not impact your IP reputation. We cannot change the main ip of your server.

Regards
Edouard
OVH Support
2015-01-20 16:26:05
Perhaps, but I don't wish to risk a search and seizure of my server due to someone else's previous actions as I've had this server for 5 days. There are many google links pointing to my IP and I don't wish to recieve constant hits on my webserver from precarious sources - would you?

For this reason I would like to be assigned a different server. I see that there are servers in stock, can you please help me accomplish this? This should be a reasonable request. I am not asking for costly interventions here.

Thank you,
2015-01-21 11:07:52
Hello,

We are not in the capacity to change the records of domain names pointing towards your server, you would have to contact the registrars of those domains for that.

Regards
Edouard
OVH support.
2015-01-22 00:51:06
Edouard,
I understand that you do not have control over the domain name or the DNS. But you do have the ability to provide me a new server on a different IP address. If you re-read our discussion, you will find that is what I am asking for.
2015-01-22 11:16:26
Hello.

I understand what you're asking, we can however not change your servers main IP or transfer you to another server.

Regards
Edouard
OVH Support.
2015-01-22 16:55:37
You can not, or you do not want to? I understand if you cannot change my server's main IP, however I fail to understand your non-willingness to give me another server.

You leased me a car with a broken wheel. If you cannot change the wheel, give me a new car. In reality you leased me a server with a dirty IP, if you cannot change my IP, give me a new server.

I have had this server 7 days. Please cancel my subscription to this server effective immediately and credit my account for the 23 days I did not use.
--------------------------------------------------
2015-01-22 18:06:13
Hello,

We are not in a position to fulfil your request, nor can we refund servers which had an operating system installed on them.

Regards
Edouard
OVH Support.
-------------------------------------------------
2015-01-22 18:36:24
Please escalate this ticket to your manager.
I do not find my request to be unreasonable or time consuming for that matter on OVH's side. I'm getting nowhere with the registrar, and even worse, being told to pound sand from OVH. Even if I do get the registrar to pull DNS authority, there are still records and I'd rather not be anywhere near this thing for this reason.

Who here would want a server with domains attached to it's main IP taking hits all day? I fully realize that I can rewrite or reroute the incoming hits, but that's way beyond the point here. All I'm asking is to be placed onto another server - they are not out of stock. Let someone else deal with this registrar and a bunch of pissed off skript-kiddies banging on it all day - I don't want to deal with it, nor should I have to.

To top matters off, as soon as I had asked for a manager, my server suddenly required an intervention due to a faulty IPMI module and was offline for maybe an hour. Coincidence? perhaps.

Suggestions? Maybe someone from OVH with a half a brain can intervene?