OVH Community, your new community space.

over 5 hours and still wairing for a disk replacement

djberriman
06-02-2015, 13:54
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Their website doesn't say they offer the monitoring available through the control panel, so don't expect it, it's really that simple.

I've always found that the monitoring detects within a few minutes whether the server is down or up, the reason this might not be the case for you would be down to a firewall on your server, either blocking the connection or the checked port. So, you need to allow the monitoring IPs and Ports.
I've not asked for website monitoring, please point to where I said that?

It is working fine, I simply asked and I'll state if for you again so you are clear suggested that they display Up or Down and the date and time of the last visit in the control panel.

Criot
06-02-2015, 13:18
Quote Originally Posted by djberriman
It is indeed used for that purpose so they can go and press the power button, sadly they sometimes do this when the server is back up and online (30 minutes later). It would do no harm form them to simply display the details in the control panel would it? As it is there is no indication the monitoring is actually working, it simply says it is on and you just have to sit tight for 20 minutes or so until you get an email. I've no idea how long it is before it decides a server is down or back up again but it appears its quite a long period and that the datacentre staff don't check the status before restarting the server. Last time this happened the server was back up and I had been logged onto it for 30 minutes when they rebooted the server.

Thank you for your suggestion I am fully aware of external providers like pingdom etc but that doesn't mean ovh can't display some very basic information in the control panel like the last time a ping was done and the result.
Their website doesn't say they offer the monitoring available through the control panel, so don't expect it, it's really that simple.

I've always found that the monitoring detects within a few minutes whether the server is down or up, the reason this might not be the case for you would be down to a firewall on your server, either blocking the connection or the checked port. So, you need to allow the monitoring IPs and Ports.

djberriman
06-02-2015, 11:48
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
I'm pretty sure monitoring is used for the OVH purposes of automatically alerting the Datacentre of issues with your server, so if it was not working you'd be getting emails that the server is offline. If you want monitoring, go to somewhere like pingdom and setup your own monitoring system. There are even other monitors out there that provide you information on your server like NodeQuery and Observium.
It is indeed used for that purpose so they can go and press the power button, sadly they sometimes do this when the server is back up and online (30 minutes later). It would do no harm form them to simply display the details in the control panel would it? As it is there is no indication the monitoring is actually working, it simply says it is on and you just have to sit tight for 20 minutes or so until you get an email. I've no idea how long it is before it decides a server is down or back up again but it appears its quite a long period and that the datacentre staff don't check the status before restarting the server. Last time this happened the server was back up and I had been logged onto it for 30 minutes when they rebooted the server.

Thank you for your suggestion I am fully aware of external providers like pingdom etc but that doesn't mean ovh can't display some very basic information in the control panel like the last time a ping was done and the result.

Criot
06-02-2015, 11:26
Do you actually read what is written before replying, where did I say you had to say what was wrong with the server. All I asked is that the control panels display whether the ping completed or not and the last time you did a ping. Thus on viewing the control panel I could see whether the monitoring is actually working, when the server was last pinged and what the result was.
I'm pretty sure monitoring is used for the OVH purposes of automatically alerting the Datacentre of issues with your server, so if it was not working you'd be getting emails that the server is offline. If you want monitoring, go to somewhere like pingdom and setup your own monitoring system. There are even other monitors out there that provide you information on your server like NodeQuery and Observium.

djberriman
06-02-2015, 10:06
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
The servers are unmanaged so it not possible for us to know what is wrong with a server before we get to it, once we do get to it to resolve the issue we then update you in the ticket what we did and what we found with the server.

Certainly it is not ideal at the moment having two control panels I understand that and also would of been better if someone had advised you to do a direct to datacentre ticket.
Do you actually read what is written before replying, where did I say you had to say what was wrong with the server. All I asked is that the control panels display whether the ping completed or not and the last time you did a ping. Thus on viewing the control panel I could see whether the monitoring is actually working, when the server was last pinged and what the result was.

Neil
05-02-2015, 17:29
So the when the server stops responding to pings all we know is that is not responding.

really?

You know when you last tested it and the result. Very easy to display these details in the control panel, if nothing else to prove it's working.
The servers are unmanaged so it not possible for us to know what is wrong with a server before we get to it, once we do get to it to resolve the issue we then update you in the ticket what we did and what we found with the server.

It still does not explain why 2 staff at OVH failed to actually do anything.

I can't help it if you've half finished your new control panel, how am I suppsed to know which one to use, in fact in V3 when you click on services gives you one button, 'Manage your server via the new Control Panel ', when you go there to do so it says 'For the next few weeks, you will still be able to administer your services via the old customer interface.' So why on earth would someone then think to go back to the old control panel to log an 'incident ticket' rather than using the support / technical support option in the new control panel.

So somehow I as a customer am supposed to know a) which control panel to use b) that I need to contact the data centre myself c) which option to use to contact the data centre.

Clearly beyond ovh staff to actually assing the ticket to the right queue, ensure staff actually do something (to be honest the 2nd person I spoke to sounded like he'd just woken up, didn't have a clue who he was or who he was working for) .

At very worst case if someone (preferably the first person I spoke to) has told me the way to get a response was to raise a 2ND incident ticket direct with the data centre clearly I would have done it there and then.

Your excuses are pathetic and lack of ownership sad but clearly you expect customers (be warned people reading this) to magically know how your internal procedures work and how to get a response.

It would be so simple to hold your hands up and say 'yes we got it wrong', then ensure procedures are put in place and improve, who know's you may improve your customer experience and retain more customers.
Certainly it is not ideal at the moment having two control panels I understand that and also would of been better if someone had advised you to do a direct to datacentre ticket.

djberriman
05-02-2015, 17:19
It still does not explain why 2 staff at OVH failed to actually do anything.

I can't help it if you've half finished your new control panel, how am I suppsed to know which one to use, in fact in V3 when you click on services gives you one button, 'Manage your server via the new Control Panel ', when you go there to do so it says 'For the next few weeks, you will still be able to administer your services via the old customer interface.' So why on earth would someone then think to go back to the old control panel to log an 'incident ticket' rather than using the support / technical support option in the new control panel.

So somehow I as a customer am supposed to know a) which control panel to use b) that I need to contact the data centre myself c) which option to use to contact the data centre.

Clearly beyond ovh staff to actually assing the ticket to the right queue, ensure staff actually do something (to be honest the 2nd person I spoke to sounded like he'd just woken up, didn't have a clue who he was or who he was working for) .

At very worst case if someone (preferably the first person I spoke to) has told me the way to get a response was to raise a 2ND incident ticket direct with the data centre clearly I would have done it there and then.

Your excuses are pathetic and lack of ownership sad but clearly you expect customers (be warned people reading this) to magically know how your internal procedures work and how to get a response.

It would be so simple to hold your hands up and say 'yes we got it wrong', then ensure procedures are put in place and improve, who know's you may improve your customer experience and retain more customers.

djberriman
05-02-2015, 17:05
So the when the server stops responding to pings all we know is that is not responding.

really?

You know when you last tested it and the result. Very easy to display these details in the control panel, if nothing else to prove it's working.

Neil
05-02-2015, 15:28
Even your 'monitoring' does not actual tell you the current status of the monitor. My server has just died and from the control panel all looks well, its all green and ticked, however I just received an email saying the server has failed. It would be nice if your monitoring said something other than 'active - old control panel' and 'enabled - new control panel'. Please update it to say when it was last checked and its actual status!
Hi

Which monitoring do you mean? Do you mean the RTM or just the Monitoring? Monitoring only pings the server so we know when it goes offline. So the when the server stops responding to pings all we know is that is not responding.

In your case it was detected offline/not responding at 13:30:10 and we rebooted it at 14:04:49.

Criot
05-02-2015, 14:56
Incident tickets (which are in direct contact with the Datacentre) need to be submitted via Manager V3, additionally you shouldn't submit hardware tickets to general support anyway, you should always submit them via the Incident Ticket system as they're the ones who deal with it, contacting support will just get an Incident ticket opened which would of been a waste of a few hours.

djberriman
05-02-2015, 13:53
What a pathetic excuse, a ticket was raised, I rang 3 times at 2 hour intervals, only on the 3rd call did someone actually do something and then only after I typed I authorise you to replace the disk into the ticket. The last communication on the ticket was from the data centre staff saying they would wait for me to take backups and confirm when I had which I did at 10.10, the disk was finally replaced at 18.36.

Your control panel it has to be said is totally unclear, I'm not sure how one creates a ticket directly with the data centre, probably clear to you as you know your systems but as a customer the control panels (yes 2, one old, one new, both half operational) are by no means clear, just how do you raise a ticket direct with the data center and please explain and then why I should bearing in mind I have a ticket already (with replies from the data centre) and that I rang and spoke to your staff 3 times at approx 2 hour intervals after 10.10.

Even your 'monitoring' does not actual tell you the current status of the monitor. My server has just died and from the control panel all looks well, its all green and ticked, however I just received an email saying the server has failed. It would be nice if your monitoring said something other than 'active - old control panel' and 'enabled - new control panel'. Please update it to say when it was last checked and its actual status!

Neil
05-02-2015, 13:35
See ticket 2009423
Hi thanks for providing the logs. As mentioned on the ticket you can always create a ticket directly to the datacentre which would reduce the time waiting.

djberriman
05-02-2015, 13:22
Quote Originally Posted by S0phie
Hi,

Can you provide your server name? and we'll look into this.
See ticket 2009423

S0phie
30-01-2015, 12:55
Hi,

Can you provide your server name? and we'll look into this.

heise
30-01-2015, 08:47
On Kimsufi the record lies with 2 months waiting to get HDD replaced, and needless to say they refused to give any compensation for the 2 months of service paid by the customer for nothing....

djberriman
29-01-2015, 18:20
another hour ticks by....

needless to say all hosting companies are only really measured by anyone with experience by how well they respond when there is an issue.

Needless to say you aren't ranking very highly.

djberriman
29-01-2015, 17:19
Ah I see, you have a phrase which the customer has to key into the ticket 'I authorise you to replace the disk' in this case and you don't tell the customer this until you are ready to deal with the issue. Then amazingly within a few minutes of me doing that you actually 'program' the replacement of the bathroom, yes I kid you not the bathroom.

"Following your confirmation I just program the replacement
of the defective bathroom Z1D0DZ1R disk, you will be
notified of the beginning and the end of the intervention
via this ticket."

So I guess the SLA timing starts now then?

You could not make it up.

djberriman
29-01-2015, 16:58
Well my poor dedicated server in Paris has been waiting since 10.10 GMT for a replacement hard drive as one has failed.

So my server has been down since that time.

I have a support ticket, I've rung and chased support every 2 hours, the 3rd person I speak to says I must add the words 'I authorise you to replace the disk' onto the ticket before it can be done, denies knowledge of the first 2 people I spoke too both of whom promised to get it sorted out.

This despite the previous evening support staff saying 'We wait for your confirmation of backup in order to replace' and me saying at 10.10 ' The server is now waiting the new disk. It appears the disk has now finally died as in rescue mode it can no longer be seen.'

So much for the 2 hour sla.

Seriously OVH please explain yourselves because I can't wait to hear how you think this is acceptable.