OVH Community, your new community space.

New User Disclaimer

heise
09-02-2015, 10:14
Hi bigmike2238,

we seem to have a few misconceptions here. First servers here are unmanaged. So either you know everything about server management, have someone who does that for you or are willing to put in a few extra hours to learn it the hard way.

Second, Windows is unsupported on Kimsufi and "only" some Windows server versions are supported on SYS. Supported means, that it autoinstalls. You need to add a SPLA licence key to use that "autoinstallation" service. If you don't have one, SYS rents them and yes, they are pricey. Don't complain, it's your fault you want MS - and yes, I prefer Linux

Thrid, you can always install Windows manually, see signature. Then you can also install Windows 7 or 8 or any other version. Depending on your hardware it is not so easy. I don't know who told you, that Windows cannot be installed on Kimsufi. I am sure, it wasn't google. An easy installation (you will find the link at the end of the second post about Windows installation from my signature) is to install Promox on Kimsufi and then install Windows.

(I don't know about vKVM - to pricey for my taste - and I don't need to mess with the server's bios or install some special software.)

Fourth, servers come with a basic DDoS protection. The emphasis is on "basic". It is always there and sometimes prevents your server from running well - but that is really seldom. It stops most DDoS, but not all. And there is nothing that can be configured with it (OVH servers offer DDoS-Pro). So no, there are no ports that can be opened on Kimsufi or SoYouStart servers. Ports are opened/closed in your OS.

Fifth, you can see my signature about firewalls in linux. Use it as a start.

Sixth, if you had the feeling some OVH staff misinformed you, you should complain there. It is standard OVH policy to mention that there is no software support what so ever. So if you don't get something done (e.g. lack of knowledge) I don't see OVH's fault.

Normally people start low and climb their way up. Did you start with a VPS first? If not, why don't you take a look at OVH cloud VPS? They have Windows included http://www.ovh.ie/vps/vps-cloud.xml . And in Windows you can open port 123 or any other port you like...

alvaroag
08-02-2015, 07:19
Hi. Based on my experience with OVH(about 3 years), I'll try to answer your questions

Quote Originally Posted by bigmike2238
  • Can you open any firewall port you want on a soyoustart or kimsufi server? If not, why?
As far as I know, OVH does not(at least, by default) put a firewall on front of your server. That means all traffic will go to your server directly, and you may filter it using a firewall on your OS, if you need so.

• Are the guides regarding iptables applicable to soyoustart and kimsufi. I followed, the basic setup gudies on firewalling, and achieved no meaningful results.
Any iptables guide, from OVH or not, may work on any Linux host, as long as you have the required modules on the kernel. However, direct manipulation of iptables chains is not recommended, as it's really complex, and creating 100% working and secure iptables chains require advanced IP & TCP knowledge. The best option to set a working & secure firewall for a Linux environment is to use a iptables wrapper, which requires a more connection-oriented rules, as shorewall or firehol.

• Why when asked the question, is it possible to install a personal copy of Windows on Kimsufi, the first response is, you need to switch to a service that takes licenses, and when you sign up for the correct service, then, and only then are you told that the only "supported" licenses will cost you upwards of 50.00 a month?
Kimsufi servers do not offer option to install Windows. There is a method over the internet, specielly designed for KS servers, but it's not legal, as no license is used.
SYS servers Do support windows. On any SYS servers, you may rent a Windows license for additional cost, starting at €20. This is because Windows is a paid software, and OVH must pay microsoft for any windows license used on OVH datacenters.

• Lastly, if there is no reliable way for a customer to install a personal copy of Windows, why wasn't your team honest and up front? I purchased a vKVM after reading posts in the forum expressing, that the service would yeild results.
You may note that there are a lot of users on the forum, most of which are not OVH staff, but users as you and me. Any procedure you can find at the forums may be followed at your own risk, unless it's posted by a OVH staff member.

Hope this answers your questions.

bigmike2238
08-02-2015, 04:09
Initially, I came to soyoustart and kimsufi thinking that the price was fantastic for what was offered. I soon came to realize, like in most cases you get what you pay for. I have tried many times to get answers to simple questions, and each time I tried, I received minimal support. I installed three different visualization platforms that the company offers, Proxmox, hyper-v, and VMware. If you think that you'll be able to open ports on any of these servers OSes, you'd best to think again. I have sunk about $250.00, trying to accomplish things with these servers that should have been straight forward. Can you please answers these questions.

• Can you open any firewall port you want on a soyoustart or kimsufi server? If not, why?
  • Are the guides regarding iptables applicable to soyoustart and kimsufi. I followed, the basic setup gudies on firewalling, and achieved no meaningful results.
  • Why when asked the question, is it possible to install a personal copy of Windows on Kimsufi, the first response is, you need to switch to a service that takes licenses, and when you sign up for the correct service, then, and only then are you told that the only "supported" licenses will cost you upwards of 50.00 a month?
  • Lastly, if there is no reliable way for a customer to install a personal copy of Windows, why wasn't your team honest and up front? I purchased a vKVM after reading posts in the forum expressing, that the service would yeild results.

If you are looking for a way to save money on your electric bill or just do not have the space to run a full fledged Windows Server from home, look elsewhere and do not waste your money here. I'm not sure if I misinterpreted what OVH actually offers, but in the end, OVH basically took $200.00 from a person who only brings in around $800.00 a month. If you sign up for this service, you had better be an IT Pro with years of experience, otherwise you'll end up burning your time and money like I did. it would have been more constructive to throw it out the window.