OVH Community, your new community space.

EG64 with SSD and HDD in HW RAID

marks
16-02-2015, 17:58
about the image migration: we can't help you on that. I guess that will probably have to run on rescue mode. You're welcome to try as many times as you want, the servers are unmanaged.

About the other option, 2x 300GB SSD + 2x 3TB HDD: Can I choose which drives I install the OS on? I remember in 2013 they also had a comparable combination but I was told back then the OS HAD to be installed on the HDD and use the SSD for storage...
in software RAID, the OS is by default is on the SSD drives. With a hardware RAID, you could do many other configurations, if you're happy to do the modifications on the raid card.

Thanks.

Obsession2001
15-02-2015, 18:19
Hi,

I have a 2013 MG server. 2x 300GB SSD in HW RAID1. It's used as a 10 user terminal server.
Storage space is running low so I am looking at a new server.
I don't want NAS storage, I want local.

The EG64 looks nice, debating 3x 480GB SSD (RAID5?) or 2x 300GB SSD (RAID1) + 2x 3TB HDD (RAID1?)

Whichever I chose, I am going to take an image of the old server and restore it to the new one. I use Windows Server 2008 R2 and have already tested Easeus backup software that can handle bare metal restores etc. (I tried a restore to a SYS server and works perfectly).

My preference would be the 3x 480GB server but I want daily backup via Windows Backup too and it requires local USB drive and OVH doesn't have a 2TB USB drive option anymore, only 256GB stick max. Backing up to a mapped NAS drive disables some feature of Windows Backup. The easeus software I will just use for disaster recovery off-site.

About the other option, 2x 300GB SSD + 2x 3TB HDD: Can I choose which drives I install the OS on? I remember in 2013 they also had a comparable combination but I was told back then the OS HAD to be installed on the HDD and use the SSD for storage...

What do you guys think?

best regards
David