OVH Community, your new community space.

so you start dedicated server: IPv4 addresses and virtualisation

alvaroag
15-02-2015, 19:10
Quote Originally Posted by frodo
- For a soyoustart dedi, how many IPv4 addresses are available? I can see on the site there is only 1, but I would host multiple VM's on a hypervisor, some directly on the internet with an IPv4. Is there indeed only one and if so, can there be extra IPv4 addresses ordered?
- What about the failover IP's (128): can these be used as IP-addresses for vm's directly on the internet or not? Does this mean you have 128 IPv4's available, because that seems a bit much...
Your server comes with 1 IPv4 address included. You can get up to 128 addresses. but they have additional cost: For the first 16 IPv4 addresses, you may only pay €2 setup fee, and no monthly charge. Starting with your 17th IPv4 address, you may pay €2 monthly, in adition to the €2 setup fee.

If you intend to run multiple KVM, you may need to create a virtual MAC for each address you want to put in a VM from the Manager. Then, you bridge your VM to the physical interface and put your MAC ethernet the virtual MAC the manager generated.

- How many dedicated IPv6 addresses are there per dedi?
You have a /64 block, that is, 2 ^ 64 addresses, seems difficult you will ran out of IPv6 addresses. There's no option to buy additional block.

- Is it possible to run KVM as a hypervisor on the OVH ubuntu build? Or do you need extra tweaking, like a stock kernel installed etc.?
I suppose it's possible, as the Ubuntu kernels are multi-purpose, but can assure. I'd recommend Proxmox for virtualization, as you can have both lightweight containers and fully virtualized KVMs

frodo
15-02-2015, 18:42
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the following:
- For a soyoustart dedi, how many IPv4 addresses are available? I can see on the site there is only 1, but I would host multiple VM's on a hypervisor, some directly on the internet with an IPv4. Is there indeed only one and if so, can there be extra IPv4 addresses ordered?
- How many dedicated IPv6 addresses are there per dedi?
- What about the failover IP's (128): can these be used as IP-addresses for vm's directly on the internet or not? Does this mean you have 128 IPv4's available, because that seems a bit much...
- Is it possible to run KVM as a hypervisor on the OVH ubuntu build? Or do you need extra tweaking, like a stock kernel installed etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help!