We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

No Hardware & Network SLA Info

marks
17-02-2015, 12:15
Quote Originally Posted by heise
Beware, if you order an Failover-IP block, you can only move the whole block and not single IPs out of that block from one server to another one.
that's the case for OVH IP blocks too, not only SYS. You can order individual IPs too, which you can be move individually.

heise
16-02-2015, 18:23
Beware, if you order an Failover-IP block, you can only move the whole block and not single IPs out of that block from one server to another one.

Careimages
16-02-2015, 17:43
If you have 2 or more SYS servers and one goes down you can simply switch FO addresses to one of the other servers. Did some testing recently with switching failovers and it only took around 2 min for the switch to take effect and for traffic to get routed to the alternate machine.

You can now also automate moving failover IPs using the API (I've set myself up a Python script to do it).

nickynoodles
16-02-2015, 17:34
Quote Originally Posted by marks
The biggest difference between SYS and OVH servers is that , manily for Level 2 incidents, you cannot open an incident ticket with our engineers by yourself. You need to go through the support (Mon-Fri 9am-6pm). And that's quite a thing.
Thanks. Yes, that answers my question. I need OVH.

nickynoodles
16-02-2015, 17:32
Quote Originally Posted by heise
What's the problem setting DNS to 1 hour? In case of failure update DNS and within 1 hour all traffic will go to new server.
Thanks for the advice. Sadly many ISPs ignore TTL and cache DNS. (My own ISP does this).

I think I've established that I need OVH server not SYS. If something dies I'll order VIP support if it's taking too long to get resolved.

marks
16-02-2015, 17:32
Quote Originally Posted by nickynoodles
I'm considering ordering a few servers but I can't find any info on the SYS site about hardware or network SLAs

If my hardware has a fault how quickly will it be fixed?
If your network has a fault how quickly will it be fixed?

Trawling through this forum I noticed that Failover IPs seem to go down for an extended period without much support, which really concerns me

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...topped-working

Any comments from anyone?
well, SYS servers don't have as much guarantees as OVH's.

when it comes to hardware faults, Level 1 (server not pingin), it's pretty much the same as OVH:

http://www.soyoustart.com/en/offers/...-1.xml#support

So it is with network.

The biggest difference between SYS and OVH servers is that , manily for Level 2 incidents, you cannot open an incident ticket with our engineers by yourself. You need to go through the support (Mon-Fri 9am-6pm). And that's quite a thing.

Hope this answers most of your questions.

heise
16-02-2015, 17:19
Depends on the hardware fault. If server doesn't boot into rescue mode, it should get fixed very fast. Otherwise (e.g. memory problems) you have to open a ticket and ask for repair. That can easily take days.

Normally the network will not break down, but it may behave unwanted. In such a case, there is little you can do other then to wait. OVH network has in general a good reputation.

If you need high availability prepare a backup plan. What's the problem setting DNS to 1 hour? In case of failure update DNS and within 1 hour all traffic will go to new server.

nickynoodles
16-02-2015, 09:54
Quote Originally Posted by LawsHosting
I'd read reviews from different sources first.

Put it this way, I've not ordered new servers at OVH for 2 years - reasons being, by other customer's misfortunes..
Thanks. Yes I've read reviews. My thinking was that if failover IP was reliable and I have one server as fully replicated warm backup with a failover script I should be OK.

If failover IPs go down for several days at a time that's a different story.

Problem I'm finding is that most hosts don't even offer a failover IP option. If your server goes down, and client sites are set to a given IP, you're at the mercy of a support department. If they RAID array fails you're in a world of problems.

Maybe OVH + VIP support is really what I need. :|

LawsHosting
16-02-2015, 09:33
I'd read reviews from different sources first.

Put it this way, I've not ordered new servers at OVH for 2 years - reasons being, by other customer's misfortunes..

nickynoodles
16-02-2015, 09:13
I'm considering ordering a few servers but I can't find any info on the SYS site about hardware or network SLAs

Trawling through this forum I noticed that Failover IPs seem to go down for an extended period without much support, which really concerns me

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...topped-working

Any comments from anyone?