OVH Community, your new community space.

Standard SoftRAID Configuration

BusyBee
16-07-2016, 22:08
Quote Originally Posted by 24x7servermanag
Default RAID ? If its hardware raid you get to see that during installation process. However for software RAID There is no default RAID you have to setup and I think while doing the disk partitioning you get the RAID setup option. Like choosing RAID1 or RAID0
for clarification, support staff already answer my question about this too.

RAID will be automatic depends on how many HDD you have during first order. so if you order with 2 HDD means will get auto RAID 1.

cheers,

BusyBee

nickynoodles
16-07-2016, 21:52
Quote Originally Posted by 24x7servermanag
Default RAID ? If its hardware raid you get to see that during installation process. However for software RAID There is no default RAID you have to setup and I think while doing the disk partitioning you get the RAID setup option. Like choosing RAID1 or RAID0
suck my **** retard ..

24x7servermanag
13-07-2016, 10:32

BusyBee
12-07-2016, 19:15
Where do i see any information for default RAID on OVH control panel?

it would be "convenient" to see the info via control panel.

Quote Originally Posted by marks
3-drive servers come with software RAID5. But afterwards, you can do modifications on the configuration (with limitations) through the OS tools (mdadm) and change some things. Mind that these modifications are done at your own risk.

Also, the re-installation system, allows for certain configuration.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Neil
19-02-2015, 11:17
Quote Originally Posted by andrisi
I just installed Debian 7.7 on my new server (ID: 225477), and the default RAID level seems to be 1, so I only have about 100G. I expected RAID5. Is this a "bug" in the setup system? Custom install does not give me the option to change RAID level...

Actually it does. Sorry. Still, RAID5 is said to be the standard, isn't it?
Perhaps your / or /boot is RAID 1 and the rest is RAID 5?

andrisi
19-02-2015, 00:36
I just installed Debian 7.7 on my new server (ID: 225477), and the default RAID level seems to be 1, so I only have about 100G. I expected RAID5. Is this a "bug" in the setup system? Custom install does not give me the option to change RAID level...

Actually it does. Sorry. Still, RAID5 is said to be the standard, isn't it?

marks
16-02-2015, 17:29
Quote Originally Posted by nickynoodles
Thanks. You mention Linux (mdadm), I assume it's also RAID 5 on Windows (using Windows disk manager)?

With a Windows SoftRAID 5 array, is a disk dies will the server boot or does one specific disk contain the boot partition?
yes, that's right. "Disk Management" on Windows.

Yes, that's the idea. if any drive breaks, it should boot up from any other , but that will always depend on how it exactly breaks. In any case, as soon as you've got a broken drive, you need to let us know ASAP so we can replace it.

Criot
16-02-2015, 14:14
RAID 5 is redundant, you can lose 1 disk in the array of RAID 5 without the server going offline. If you choose custom partitioning when installing the server, I believe you can choose the level of RAID because you have software RAID.

nickynoodles
16-02-2015, 13:05
Thanks. You mention Linux (mdadm), I assume it's also RAID 5 on Windows (using Windows disk manager)?

With a Windows SoftRAID 5 array, is a disk dies will the server boot or does one specific disk contain the boot partition?

marks
16-02-2015, 12:57
3-drive servers come with software RAID5. But afterwards, you can do modifications on the configuration (with limitations) through the OS tools (mdadm) and change some things. Mind that these modifications are done at your own risk.

Also, the re-installation system, allows for certain configuration.

Let us know if you need anything else.

nickynoodles
16-02-2015, 12:12
I'm considering ordering an OVH server, but wanted to know how SoftRAID is configured by default..

If I order 3 x 160GB SSD will that come as 1 x 120GB non mirrored OS partition and 2 x 120GB mirrored partition for storage? Or is it RAID 5?