We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

120 Second deployment?

heise
28-02-2015, 12:43
Can I ask what sort of SLA you provide?
Practically, it is none.

At this stage I'm considering pulling the plug on SYS altogether.
Wise, depending of the nature of your business. As soon as frequent abuse request reach OVH, you will be kicked out.

We guarantee you a maximum intervention time of 1 hour from detection of a Level 1 incident, and a repair time of 2 hours.
This means, that if the server reboots into rescue mode and replies to pings, it is not a Level 1 incident. So if one HDD is failing, your softraid will have terrible performance, possibly making your server useless. But it is not a Level 1 incident, hence it can take weeks to get HDD replaced. Other kinds of nightmare problems, are defective cables, fan, powersupply, ram etc.

we have received much more reliable offers from two other companies
Care to share?

crowarth
27-02-2015, 16:36
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
Oh I know what the SLA says, what I mean is with desktop grade hardware you are theoretically more likely to need to use the SLA, at which point OVHs track record seems to be against it. I'm lucky and have never needed to use it yet so can't personally advise either way.
I had a server go wrong within the first week, took two weeks to rectify the problem, by which time I had had enough and asked for (and got) a refund ...

I'd never personally recommend them for anything business critical, at best for projects that you don't mind the remote chance that it'll die.

Kode
27-02-2015, 13:04
Oh I know what the SLA says, what I mean is with desktop grade hardware you are theoretically more likely to need to use the SLA, at which point OVHs track record seems to be against it. I'm lucky and have never needed to use it yet so can't personally advise either way.

zombie-computer
27-02-2015, 12:10
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
As far as I know OVH don't and never have. All the hardware is commodity/desktop grade rather than server grade which they build themselves and is one way they keep prices down, downside to that is it increases the likelihood that there will be problems that need intervention, which is when the SLAs will become a problem.
Hi Kode,

Apparently they actually provide the following:

We guarantee you a maximum intervention time of 1 hour from detection of a Level 1 incident, and a repair time of 2 hours.

Kode
27-02-2015, 11:27
You can't offer hosted datacentre based server hardware
As far as I know OVH don't and never have. All the hardware is commodity/desktop grade rather than server grade which they build themselves and is one way they keep prices down, downside to that is it increases the likelihood that there will be problems that need intervention, which is when the SLAs will become a problem.

zombie-computer
27-02-2015, 07:38
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
If you want direct access to Incident support then you need OVH directly, SYS is exactly that, a starting point, at 100+ servers you should be able to afford the prices of OVH, which aren't that high in reality.

It'd probably also take you several months to grab 100+ servers from SYS, when they are available, they go quick.
"at 100+ servers you should be able to afford the prices of OVH"

That is a very wild statement. We currently run 120 machines at a datacentre in Dublin which is rented. This is only 3 cabinets. At OVH's prices, we would make a loss. At SYS's prices our profit margin, which is small as it is, would increase slightly. However as a professional IT company we offer our customers an SLA. We're a very small and very new outfit yet we can still offer and keep to our SLA. Yet SYS I've found actually hide theirs and you need to site-search to find it. Judging by this forums posts, SYS break their SLA consistantly.

Guaranteed hardware SLA
Technicians are available 24/7, ready to intervene if your server becomes unavailable and to replace defective hardware components.
We constantly monitor your servers and let you know if we detect even the slightest sign of a defect. In the event of failure, you will receive an automated email stating the time that the incident was detected. A technician on site in the data center will then take charge of it and will launch the diagnostic. We keep you informed and you will receive an update of the incident when we start working on the server.
As soon as the issue has been resolved, you will be sent a detailed comprehensive report. We guarantee you a maximum intervention time of 1 hour from detection of a Level 1 incident, and a repair time of 2 hours.
If it's not a hardware issue (Level 1 at OVH), skilled technicians will support you in repairing your servers (under Level 2).
If the above was correct and actually adhered to, we would have a business plan to migrate slowly to SYS. Then we, as a small business, could focus more on the software and virtualisation side of things without the concern of hardware. This is the POINT of server hosting providers. We, the customers, cannot enter datacentres like OVH's and so rely on their timely and effective hardware support responses.

Thank you for your time Criot, however I don't believe we agree on much of the above. From what I have seen, SYS have a very unusual business core.

"There's a server. It's in France. You can use it now, but don't use it for anything important like.. say.. a business function as hardware support is next to non-existent. "

You can't offer hosted datacentre based server hardware sort-of-kinda-in-a-way aimed at small business' with next to zero support.

Unfortunately it looks like we will be asking for a refund as we have received much more reliable offers from two other companies based in Central Europe and are still waiting to even access the server we have paid for.

Regards,
Marc Hilton
CEO

Criot
26-02-2015, 22:47
If you want direct access to Incident support then you need OVH directly, SYS is exactly that, a starting point, at 100+ servers you should be able to afford the prices of OVH, which aren't that high in reality.

It'd probably also take you several months to grab 100+ servers from SYS, when they are available, they go quick.

zombie-computer
26-02-2015, 20:48
Hello again.

I read the following in a thread on this forum, which is just one of the many surprises I found after 5 pages of forum posts:

The biggest difference between SYS and OVH servers is that , manily for Level 2 incidents, you cannot open an incident ticket with our engineers by yourself. You need to go through the support (Mon-Fri 9am-6pm). And that's quite a thing.
This, I'm quite surprised at. And it was written by an OVH staff member. This is conveniently left out of the store page, there is no FAQ and to make a purchase only to find out all of the dirty laundry is laid bare in the forums has come as a bit of a surprise, and disappointment.

How can a company providing IT services, have no SLA?

At this stage I'm considering pulling the plug on SYS altogether. We had planned on moving our current infrastructure to SYS, which would easily be 100 or so servers depending on availability due to the cost saving, however if the nightmares experienced by some customers here were based on a single server, I can only imagine what we would face were we to rely on SYS. I've had a look at OVH's offerings and to be honest, the pricing structure is just not in line with what we currently handle, hence our testing with SYS.

Honest opinions are welcome, as I'm more likely to trust another customer rather than SYS's large, colourful and bold claims on the main page.

Thanks,
Marc Hilton
CEO

zombie-computer
26-02-2015, 20:00
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
New account or same account as before? There have been users who've had to go through the new verification process on old accounts.
Hi Criot,

Thank you for your reply. Our account was created on the 10th of December so I'd say we're pretty new.

Regards,
Marc Hilton
CEO

Criot
26-02-2015, 19:52
New account or same account as before? There have been users who've had to go through the new verification process on old accounts.

zombie-computer
26-02-2015, 19:14
I'd like to add that this "manual payment processing" is a bit bizarre, considering payment has been made by us as below:

26 Feb 15 POS WWW.OVH.CO.UK, 02073787699 62.83

zombie-computer
26-02-2015, 19:10
It's not our first time ordering, which is why this is an issue with us. On that note, the first time we ordered, it was an instant setup. There was no verification process.

Thanks for your reply.

Criot
26-02-2015, 19:08
If it's your first time ordering you need to go through a manual verification process which usually takes up to 2 working days, I believe. They'll email you regarding it when they're in office.

zombie-computer
26-02-2015, 19:03
Sorry, but how does this work when for some reason payments have to be processed manually? We've spent the day waiting for one of the server model SYS-IP-2 to be in stock, and now after making a purchase we're left waiting again. We're losing valuable time and this, alongside the very worrying forum post here where a customer was left 4 months for simple hardware support has us all concerned as to whether OVH are a reliable service provider. The email attached to our account is the same as the one for this forum account if you wish to have a look for us?

Can I ask what sort of SLA you provide? We could hardly have 4 customers wait for 4 months should one of the drives on our server go down, I do hope that was just an isolated case?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

David Murphy
Tech Lead
Zombie Computer Hosting