OVH Community, your new community space.

2 x E5-1650v2 vs 1 x E5-2620v2 - which would be better

Kode
27-02-2015, 14:57
Well the current site is built on top of wordpress and occasionaly in busy periods it goes a bit unresponsive, the other day I logged in and load was at 54! A service php5-fpm restart fixed that and it was the only time I've ever seen it anywhere near that high, but it generally sits somewhere between 0.80 - 3.70.

On the new site I am using codeigniter (personal choice, I use it everyday at work) as I started building the new site still on wordpress and as a test, on my overworked, overheating, slowing to a crawl laptop it took 4.5seconds to load the page, on the same page built on codeigniter it loaded in 0.7 seconds.

Also the current site was never designed to do what it does now, so the database structure is a bit of a mess (for example there is a seperate image table for music, tv, and movies, so to get say an image count of all posters - regardless of section - you need to do a UNION on all 3 tables rather than a simple query).

Criot
27-02-2015, 14:32
Don't fix what isn't broken

Kode
27-02-2015, 14:26
I really don't care about the game server, I'm hosting it for free as a favour.

Thanks for your advice, I'm not in any hurry to upgrade, I'm just trying to plan ahead in case I need to, at this current moment in time it's hard to justify paying 2 - 3x the price of the SYS E3-SSD-4 for either of them when the performance isn't really that much higher than the 1245v2 looking at those benchmarks.

Criot
27-02-2015, 14:11
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
Thanks Criot, the thing is I'm not sure I need better single threaded performance, theres not really anything that requires heavy processing that I can think of, with the exception of mysql maybe, I think in proxmox I currently assign 4 cores (threads?) to the database VPS, 4 to the main server, 2 to Plesk, 2 to Dev and 1 to the game server, obviously an E3-1245 doesn't have that many, so would mysql benefit more from 4 shared treads from an e3-1245 or say 8 dedicated threads from a 2620?
Games are *usually* single threaded so would perform better on the E5-1650v2, depends what game you're running though but it's something to consider. Web Applications including MySQL can make use of multiple threads, so the E5-2620v2 wouldn't be of any disappointment to them.

Kode
27-02-2015, 14:01
Thanks Criot, the thing is I'm not sure I need better single threaded performance, theres not really anything that requires heavy processing that I can think of, with the exception of mysql maybe, I think in proxmox I currently assign 4 cores (threads?) to the database VPS, 4 to the main server, 2 to Plesk, 2 to Dev and 1 to the game server, obviously an E3-1245 doesn't have that many, so would mysql benefit more from 4 shared treads from an e3-1245 or say 8 dedicated threads from a 2620?

Criot
27-02-2015, 13:48
I know Oles said that they're meant to be bringing out new disks at the end of this month, including doubling SSD Capacities for a similar price as to what they are now, might be worth considering if you're waiting for the Online.net SSD to come back in stock.

Benchmarks:
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu....50GHz&id=2066
https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu...051&cpuCount=2

The dual CPU isn't that much better in performance but has more cores/threads, however, the E5-1650v2 will obviously give you better single threaded performance.

Kode
27-02-2015, 13:40
The 2 x E5-2620v2 from online.net costs around 115/mo (of course that is subject to exchange rate fluctuations) and it has no setup fee.
The 1 x E5-1650v2 from OVH costrs about 135/mo + 85 setup fee

They both have 128GB of RAM.

That price includes 2 x 500GB SSDs which is what I would probably go for if it came back in stock, on OVH the only equivelant would be 3 x 600GB SSD for an extra 51/mo as 3 x 160GB ( extra 5.10) wouldn't be big enough.

The 1650 has 6c/12t - 3,5 GHz/3,9 GHz
The 2 x 2620 has 12c/24t - 2.1 Ghz/2.6 GHz

My use case is I currently run 5 VPSs off server 1 (SYS E3-SSD-4)
  • Main website
  • Database server
  • Plesk server for a few small sites and email for main site
  • Small ET game server
  • Dev site

On a second server (e3-1230v2 with online.net) I run 2 VPSs
  • Forums for main site
  • Load balancer for API

On a third server which is an 8 core Avoton from online.net I just run backups and serves the images requested by the API (when not handled by cloudflare).

I also have 2 VPSs, 1 from Ramnode and 1 from Iperweb which handle all the API requests

The main website currently gets around 310,00 visits / over 1,000,000 pageviews a month I'm currently rebuilding it which should result in much lower load, but I'm looking towards the future and how we will cope as we get bigger

So really I guess my question is, is threadcount more important or raw speed in this use case?

*edit* to clarify, the server would be replacing server 1