OVH Community, your new community space.

Failover IP Location

BungieBoy
01-03-2015, 22:52
Quote Originally Posted by alvaroag
When OVH lets you choose the geolocation for the IP, it's only about the WHOIS data. For example, a IP geolocated in Canada has the following WHOIS:

And a US IP have this:

So they comply with giving you an IP with geolocation on the US.

But one thing is the geolocation of the IP, and another is the real location of the IP. Even when you choose a US IP, the server will be located in Canada (Beauharnois).

Some GEOIP providers may consider only the WHOIS data. Others may go deeper searching for a more exact location, and, knowing that OVH does not have datacenters in the US, it would be obvious that the server may be really located in Canada, so they consider the IP is really located in Canada.

Not really much you can do about it.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Not what i wanted to hear, but it sounds pretty spot on to me.

alvaroag
01-03-2015, 22:22
When OVH lets you choose the geolocation for the IP, it's only about the WHOIS data. For example, a IP geolocated in Canada has the following WHOIS:

OrgName: OVH Hosting, Inc.
OrgId: HO-2
Address: 800-625, avenue du President Kennedy
City: Montreal
StateProv: QC
PostalCode: H3A 1K2
RegDate: 2011-06-22
Updated: 2014-08-29
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/HO-2
And a US IP have this:

OrgName: OVH (NWK)
OrgId: ON-6
Address: 165 Halsey Street
City: Newark
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 07102
RegDate: 2012-07-11
Updated: 2012-07-11
Ref: http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/ON-6

So they comply with giving you an IP with geolocation on the US.

But one thing is the geolocation of the IP, and another is the real location of the IP. Even when you choose a US IP, the server will be located in Canada (Beauharnois).

Some GEOIP providers may consider only the WHOIS data. Others may go deeper searching for a more exact location, and, knowing that OVH does not have datacenters in the US, it would be obvious that the server may be really located in Canada, so they consider the IP is really located in Canada.

Not really much you can do about it.

BungieBoy
01-03-2015, 21:35
Quote Originally Posted by heise
Well, because it is a canadian IP. The server is in canada, so why should an IP checker say that it is from the US? Only IP checkers that query the IP itself and use the country stored there, will say it is a US IP.
Thanks for the reply,

Why when i purchase a failover IP would it give me the option to choose a US IP address if its just a Canadian one?

Quote Originally Posted by heise
Only IP checkers that query the IP itself and use the country stored there, will say it is a US IP.
What else would they use to check the country?

heise
01-03-2015, 21:30
Well, because it is a canadian IP. The server is in canada, so why should an IP checker say that it is from the US? Only IP checkers that query the IP itself and use the country stored there, will say it is a US IP.

BungieBoy
01-03-2015, 21:11
Hey Everyone,

Im looking for an explanation of OVH's Failover IP's, Specifically...

I purchased a USA Failover IP for my Canadian dedi box, Could someone kindly explain why it appears to almost all IP checkers and info sites that it is a Canadian IP and not American one?

Thank You.